At For Kicks, we celebrate the Canadian women’s national soccer team and aim to uplift women’s soccer at all levels in our great nation. We are Jessica and Katie, a couple of pals who didn’t know the other was a soccer fan until 10 years into the friendship. On the podcast we’ll keep you updated on the Canadian women’s national team, U17 and U20 teams, NWSL and any big news in women’s soccer.
- Favourite soccer player: Christine Sinclair, obvs. But closely followed by Ashley Lawrence, Erin McLeod and Kadeisha Buchanan.
- Favourite soccer memory: The 2002 FIFA U-19 Women’s World Championship. My parents got our whole family tickets to the opening group stage game for Canada (vs. Denmark) and from that moment I was hooked. I attended almost every Canada game during the tournament and fell in love with the Canadian team.
- Top 5 songs to get you pumped before a game: Marrow – St. Vincent, Echoes – The Rapture, Romantic Rights – Death From Above, Balance – Future Islands, Spellbound – Siouxsie & The Banshees
- Top 5 songs to bring you down after the game: Present Tense – The Wild Beasts (the entire album), Lovers In The Parking Lot – Solange, Running – Jessie Ware, I Had This Thing – Röyksopp (feat: Jamie McDermott), Drab Morrow – Storyboard
- Position you would play if you were a soccer player: Forward/striker for sure. I’m the worst on defense in any sport. I thought I was terrible at basketball for like two years until my coach made me a forward and since then I’ve never wanted to play defense in any sport ever again.
- Favourite soccer player: Christine Sinclair, c’mon. The list of runner-ups is long, though. Too long to try to choose.
- Team you cheer for besides Canada: England, Germany
- Top 5 songs to get you pumped before a game: Paper Planes – M.I.A., I Don’t Give a F*ck – Boss, Want to Want Me – Jason Derulo, Drove Me Wild – Tegan and Sara, Get Low – Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz
- Top 5 songs to bring you down after the game: Sweet Talk, Sweet Talk – The New Pornographers, Life on Mars? – David Bowie, Can’t Keep It In – Cat Stevens, Road Regrets – Dan Mangan, (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life – Billy Medley & Jennifer Warnes
- Position you would play if you were a soccer player: Midfield, maybe? I don’t know, I’m pretty out of shape.