For Kicks is a podcast that’s dedicated to celebrating the Canadian women’s national soccer team. We are Jessica and Katie, a couple of pals who are deeply passionate about uplifting the women’s game. On the podcast we’ll keep you updated on the Canadian WNT, U-17 and U-20 teams, NWSL and any big news in women’s soccer.
- Favourite soccer player: Christine Sinclair, obvs. But closely followed by Ashley Lawrence, Erin McLeod and Kadeisha Buchanan.
- Favourite soccer memory: The 2002 FIFA U-19 Women’s World Championship. My parents got our whole family tickets to the opening group stage game for Canada (vs. Denmark) and from that moment I was hooked. I attended almost every Canada game during the tournament and fell in love with the Canadian team.
- Top 5 songs to get you pumped before a game: Marrow – St. Vincent, Echoes – The Rapture, Romantic Rights – Death From Above, Balance – Future Islands, Spellbound – Siouxsie & The Banshees
- Top 5 songs to bring you down after the game: Present Tense – The Wild Beasts (the entire album), Lovers In The Parking Lot – Solange, Running – Jessie Ware, I Had This Thing – Röyksopp (feat: Jamie McDermott), Drab Morrow – Storyboard
- Position you would play if you were a soccer player: Forward/striker for sure. I’m the worst on defense in any sport. I thought I was terrible at basketball for like two years until my coach made me a forward and since then I’ve never wanted to play defense in any sport ever again.
- Favourite soccer player: Christine Sinclair, c’mon. The list of runner-ups is long, though. Too long to try to choose.
- Team you cheer for besides Canada: England, Germany
- Top 5 songs to get you pumped before a game: Paper Planes – M.I.A., I Don’t Give a F*ck – Boss, Want to Want Me – Jason Derulo, Drove Me Wild – Tegan and Sara, Get Low – Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz
- Top 5 songs to bring you down after the game: Sweet Talk, Sweet Talk – The New Pornographers, Life on Mars? – David Bowie, Can’t Keep It In – Cat Stevens, Road Regrets – Dan Mangan, (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life – Billy Medley & Jennifer Warnes
- Position you would play if you were a soccer player: Midfield. I’m definitely better at creating opportunities than putting the ball in the back of the net. And defense/GK is too much pressure!