- Canada vs. Jamaica
- Canada vs. Cuba
- Canada vs. Costa Rica
- baking a surprising amount considering this is a soccer podcast
- the upcoming Edmonton vs. Calgary Al Classico game (tickets can be purchased here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-al-classico-fc-edmonton-vs-calvary-fc-tickets-50494971820)
We’re so excited to announce that we’ve launched our newest feature on the podcast: Catching Up with Canucks Abroad’s Oscar Melander. Oscar has been helping connect North American players—including Canadians—to soccer clubs in Sweden for several years. In this episode, you’ll meet Oscar and learn more about how he got involved in this exciting and unique work. In future Catching up with Canucks Abroad’s Oscar Melander segments of the show, Oscar will join us to share stories from Canadian players, as well as news and updates about overseas signings and how our Canadians are faring in their overseas leagues.
In this episode, we:
- have lots of CANWNT news and updates—the best!
- share an update on the U17 Women’s World Cup and the Canadian EXCEL program
- report on the start of the NCAA season and end of the Foothills WFC season
- rap on the NWSL
- chat with Oscar Melander, our Swedish friend and correspondent who will join us for a new segment on future shows!
We’re back! It felt gooooooooood to get back on the mic to talk soccer. It felt less good to watch Germany win against Canada, but hey, we’re excited to be back at it.
In this episode, we talk about:
- the Canada vs. Germany friendly match in Hamilton on June 10
- the CONCACAF U17 championship and some of the trends we see in our youth programs
- updates on Canadian players abroad
- some thoughts on the NWSL season to this point
- exciting news about our local soccer club, FC Edmonton, joining the Canadian Premier League
For Kicks is a member of the Alberta Podcast Network powered by ATB Financial. Want For Kicks and the Alberta Podcast Network to serve you better? Take this short listener survey! Your feedback will help ensure we continue to grow.
We’re less than a week away from the start of the NWSL season but there’s lots to catch up on it our latest episode!
In this episode, we talk about:
- Canada’s results in the Algarve Cup
- Stephanie Labbé joining Foothills FC
- Some predictions on the opening weekend of the 2018 NWSL season
Is it just us, or has this NWSL off-season felt like a rollercoaster ride? News from the draft, trades and teams folding has been rolling in hard and fast. We had a lot to catch up on.
In this episode, we talk about:
- The NWSL draft and how changes within the league have impacted Canadian players
- The disappointing result of the CONCACAF U20 Women’s World Cup qualifying tournament
We also get pumped up for this month’s Algarve Cup tournament, so in our next episode we’ll be talking all about that.
A very (if not slightly belated) Happy New Year, woso fans! It was nice to have a little time off from podcasting over the holidays but our return couldn’t have been timed better because something we really didn’t expect to happen happened last week: John Herdman announced he would be leaving the Canadian women’s soccer team to coach the Canadian men’s team.
So tune in and listen to what is basically a therapy session where we talk through our feelings on this big announcement. In this episode, we:
- Try real hard to be diplomatic as we dish on the facts and our feelings about John Herdman’s departure from CANWNT
- Share info about the upcoming Algarve Cup
- Talk about the CONCACAF U20 Championship tournament that’s about to get underway
- Share some of our hopes and dreams for this year’s NWSL draft
- Get the conversation started about some recent NWSL news and trades
There was more to cover than we expected, but then again, there always is. We’ll get into NWSL talk a little deeper in one of our next couple of episodes.
Canada will end 2017 on a high note after winning against Norway for the very first time!
In this episode, we cover:
- The Nov. 28, 2017 Canada vs. Norway international friendly
- NWSL off-season news
- NCAA College Cup results
This past week we became more Canadian than ever before when we travelled to Vancouver to see Canada take on their fiercest foes, U.S.A. We had so much fun as part of that record-setting crowd. So, if our voices sound strained, it’s because we were yelling. A lot.
In this episode, we talk about the two-game friendly series between Canada and the US. Listen to our retelling of the epic match we attended in Vancouver and lament the match we watched from home.
Desiree Scott and Melissa Tancredi were recently in Edmonton for FC Edmonton’s Girls in Soccer II night and Pro-Connect event. While they were in town, we had a chance to chat with them about the upcoming international friendlies vs. USA, the importance of girls in soccer nights, their hometowns and more. They were an absolute delight to talk to and it was so great to see them share their stories, inspire and celebrate with girls in soccer.
Desiree Scott made her debut with the Canadian national team in 2010 and since then, she’s been an unstoppable force also known as “the Destroyer.” Scott is a two-time Olympic gold medal winner, supporter of KidSport and all around badass who doesn’t plan to slow down any time soon.
Melissa Tancredi made her debut with the Canadian national team in 2004 and until her retirement from the team early this year, she had 125 appearances and 27 goals. Also a two-time Olympic bronze medalist, “Tanc” helped Canada make history with a pair of goals that resulted in the team’s first ever win against Germany at the 2016 Olympics.
Thanks to both Desiree and Melissa for taking the time to talk to us!
And that’s all she wrote for another NWSL season! After a tough battle between Portland and North Carolina, the Portland Thorns walked away with the 2017 NWSL Championship title. It makes us wonder if the curse of the Shield really is true.
In this episode we:
- Talk about the NWSL Championship match: Portland Thorns vs. North Carolina Courage
- Provide NCAA and UWCL updates
- Look ahead to the upcoming friendlies between Canada and U.S.A on Nov. 9 and 12
- Chat with our friend Adam from the Loyal Company of the River Valley podcast about FC Edmonton’s upcoming Girls in Soccer night